February 20, 2009 at 11:08 am | Posted in Uncategorized | 19 Comments

We’re back from the hospital. And Baby O’s procedure went VERY well.

I woke him last night at 11:30 for a bottle, so this morning he was sleeping and we had to wake him at 5:30. With the exception of a bit of fussing when he first woke up, he was in good spirits. We checked in right on time – 6:30am – and they took us back immediately.

The staff was fantastic there, I can’t say enough about them. Everyone came over and introduced themselves, and one of the nurses brought over a miniature monkey for Baby O to take home with us. He allowed them to take his temperature, listen to his lungs and heart, and even take his blood pressure without complaint.

Seriously, people. That’s unHEARD of. He usually cries as soon as a doctor comes in whenever we’re at the pediatrician’s office.

Around 10 past 7, we undressed him and put him in the hospital johnny, which they requested. He was content to sit in the chair and play with his monkey and bear blanket while I suited up, since I was going back with him when they put him under the anesthesia.

At 7:30 on the dot, we went back.

The only time he cried was when they put the mask over his face for the anesthesia, but the nurses told me that it was good he was crying because it meant the anesthesia would work quicker. (I have no idea if it was true, but it helped me feel better anyway.)

I will say. Hardest thing I had to do all morning was to lay his pacifier on the table and walk away when he was out. That was tough; every instinct was screaming at me as I walked away.

But it was literally 10 minutes before the doctor came out to tell us that everything went well. He gave us antibiotic drops to ensure that the tubes don’t crust over, and told us that we could expect the tubes to stay in anywhere from 9 months to 2 and a half years. He told us that hopefully we’ve bought time for Baby O’s ears to develop where fluid won’t automatically equal ear infections.

And then the nurse came out to bring us back to recovery. He was still out when we first got there, but they wanted me to hold him so when he woke up it wasn’t in the arms of a stranger. (Awesome, no?)

He fussed a bit coming out of it – took about a half hour for him to become fully alert. When he started to fuss for a bottle, we gave him a 2oz bottle of glucose water first, which he PROMPTLY sucked down. And then he finished it with a 4oz bottle of BM. He was alert and interested in the monitors and within another half hour we had him dressed and were on our way home.

So he’s napping now. And I’m happy it’s over. And it was WAY easier of an experience then I had prepared myself for.

The monkey? We’ve decided to name Stinky. Because I think Stinky Monkey is a good name.




RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. A “blurker” coming out of hiding for a second to say I have been nervous for you this morning and was so happy to hear how wonderfully the procedure went!! As a mom of 3, I felt your heart ache thinking about what it must have felt like to have to walk away from your child after he was under. HOWEVER, thank the LORD it was only for 10 minutes. How AWESOME was that for them to allow you to be holding him when he woke up?!?! You need to make sure they know what an awesome group of nurses and doctors they were πŸ™‚

    So happy everything is well and he’s sleeping in his bed, at home!

    So, does he have any other pain meds other than over the counter? That’s just amazing to me….just antibiotic drops!

    Yea for Baby O……..AND you!

    Happy healing πŸ™‚

  2. Glad it went well! I hope relief is well within sight now. πŸ™‚ I’ve never once regretted the decision for tubes.


  3. It sounds like the doctors and nurses were very empathetic and helpful. I am so glad it was easier than you anticipated. And–Stinky Monkey–of course!!

    Wishing O a speedy recovery and no more ear infections!

  4. Awesome! I’m sure it was a long ten minutes while they were doing the procedure but it sounds like everything was fantastic. It’s over! Yay!

  5. Yay, happy news!

  6. Excellent news, and a relief.

  7. I got your e-mail a few minutes ago and was glad to hear everything went well for both of you! We are likely going to be doing the tube thing if we get one more infection, so I’m glad to know it is pretty quick and painless.

    Baby M has a monkey that has slept with him since pretty much since he was born. I like Stinky Monkey – if it is anything like Baby M’s it will be stinky in good time.*

    *I do wash the monkey, but in the days of reflux it was ALWAYS covered in spit-up and I couldn’t wash it enough.

  8. Oh Stinky Monkey. πŸ™‚

    Sounds like it went well!! Good news!!

  9. Glad its over and went well!! Sounds like Momma and baby were troopers!!

    Here’s to clear ears from hear on out(teehee I punned…LOL I am soooo lame!!)

  10. I’m glad you’re home safe and sound and all was less scary that you thought it would be. Thank goodness! You and Baby O are both troopers.

  11. Stinky Monkey is a fantastic name. :o) I’m glad your stinky little monkey made it through with flying colors! I’ve been thinking about you guys and was so happy to log on and read this. Way to go & hugs to all of you.

  12. I’m glad it went so well and so fast! It’s amazing, isn’t it?! I love the name stinky monkey- too cute. Our hospital gave us a brown bear beanie baby- we call him brown bear. Not too clever.

    Hope the tubes work! Fingers are crossed!

  13. So pleased it went well. Having been there with my little one going under I know how scary it must hav ebeen.

  14. Glad to hear it went so well!

  15. So glad to hear everything went well. He was a champ! And it sounds like the people there were great with babies…and parents. πŸ™‚

  16. I am so glad it went well!

  17. great to hear that all went well. Thanks for sharing , now I know what to look forward to when is Lyla’s turn. Lyla’s surgery was postponed due to the RSV for next month. Have a great weekend

  18. sorry I’m late getting here, but so glad it went well. I can’t imagine having to leave him there, my heart would have ached too.

    Stinky Monkey is a great name and I’m glad he had him there during the tubes and you when he woke up. Just as it should be. πŸ™‚

  19. I’m so glad it went well. I’m having a bit of a sob – TBB is having his adenoids and tonsils out in a few weeks, just after his 5th birthday. HE will be fine, just not so sure about me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: